Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Weekend with Grandma

My mom came to visit this weekend for her birthday. She flew in Friday night, which was not soon enough for Kirsten. She ran around all day asking when grandma was coming and even helped me get the house ready for her. I took her to the airport in her pajamas since we would not be home until after 11 pm. Now she thinks that she always gets wear pajamas to the airport. Oh well.
Getting the house ready for Grandma Starnes
We spent Saturday morning shopping. We hit half price day at a consignment sale and bought 3 pairs of tap shoes for $1.50 each. Kirsten is set for size 11, 12 and 13. I love consignment sales! Saturday afternoon we went the temple and then we picked up Jeremy and Kirsten and went out to dinner. After dinner we came home and my mom re-covered my dining room chairs. They were covered in white fabric, so they were undoubtedly filthy. Well, now they are gorgeous. Thanks mom!
Sunday we got up and went to church. I was released as primary pianist, after 5 1/2 years, and was called as a Relief Society teacher. I taught my first lesson on Sunday, and was thrilled that my mom was able to be there for it.
Sunday evening we had a birthday party for my mom. My brother John came, Jeremy's family, and my Uncle Billy with two of his kids. We had brisket with all the fixings, and of course cake. I have not decorated a cake since Megan's birthday in October, so I am a little out of practice. Here it is though, with yellow roses, my mom's favorite.
After the party, we went outside to see my brother, John, show us some of his Kung-fu moves. He is learning a routine with a machete (YIKES!). Jeremy says that we should have him come over when Kirsten starts dating to "demonstrate" what he can do for her dates! I am really proud of him. He is getting ready to test for his black belt in Taekwondo, and his red belt in Kung Fu. I tried shooting a video, but it turned out too dark. I was able to lighten up the pictures some. They do not do justice to the amazing things he can do.



Monday we were able to watch Kirsten's dance class, which I know was a treat for my mom. We did some more shopping, and then took her to the airport (Kirsten insisted on wearing pajamas even though it was 3 in the afternoon). Thank you for coming to see us mom, and Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

Eric & Amy said...

We'll miss you Primary...but you'll make a great teacher!

Jodi said...

How fun that your mom got to be there!

How tall is your daughter? She seems so grown up!

Cassie said...

"Everybody was Kung-Fu fighting!"

Cool stuff, cute pictures.

Ryan

Janet Adams Starnes said...

Thank you Laura for making my birthday one of the best ever. Love you bunches, MOM