Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

We had such an amazing and busy weekend. It all started on Friday when my sister, Anne, flew in. She had a job interview on Friday in Dallas. We are really hoping and praying that she is able to transfer here, especially since her baby is due in a few weeks. We were so thrilled that she was able to get on the plane with no problems, especially since she is 37 weeks, and technically you cannot travel by air past 36 wks without a doctor's note. We spent Friday afternoon swimming, of course, and then went to dinner with my dad, Patty, and Uncle Johnny, and Aunt Verlanne. Kirsten was thrilled to see them again. She has been asking for Verlanne ever since we stayed with them in California in May. We had a great time Friday night visiting and playing Harry Potter Clue.


Saturday was such a treat. I was able to go with my aunt and uncle, my dad and Patty to the OU vs BYU game. The best part was that it was at the new Cowboy's Stadium in Arlington.
The stadium was amazing. It is all enclosed and air conditioned. Imagine that, a football game without a sunburn! The seats were even cushioned - and ours were some of the first bums in those seats!
I do love football, but of course my favorite part of the game was this....
I just can't help myself. It is not a football game without a marching band!
So I have to admit that I had torn loyalties. I grew up on OU football. Other than my own school, UNT, the only college football games I have ever been to were OU games. When I lived in Norman, we could walk to the stadium. Also, my Grandmother, mother and sister, all graduated from OU. On the other hand, I have family that is currently attending and teaching at BYU. So I wore a neutral purple shirt and then decided to root for BYU with the rest of the family. We sure had a great time. I all but lost my voice, but it was so worth it. There was even a line at the men's restroom at half time, not the women's! Only at a football game!
Of course, we all know how this amazing game turned out!


On Sunday we left Kirsten with my in-laws, and Jeremy and I headed to the Gaylord Texan for a much needed night away. It was our first night without Kirsten since she was born - way too long, I know. She had a blast having a sleepover with Aunt Megan.
The resort was amazing. It was our first time at an all-inclusive resort, and I am hooked. We had dinner at the Old Hickory Steakhouse. There was a Fromager with the international cheese cart and we got a cheese tray. That is something I have always wanted to do. The food was great and the atmosphere was perfect. We actually spent two hours at dinner and it was refreshing knowing that we had no where to go and no one waiting for us. I could feel myself relaxing more by the minute.
We spent most of the evening walking around and exploring, and even ordered room service desert.
Our package included breakfast at the Riverwalk Cafe. It really felt like we were back on the Riverwalk in San Antonio.
Tonight we were able to spend some time with Jeremy's mom for her birthday, and even managed to see Johnny and Verlanne one more time before they left for the airport. We had such a great time, but now it is back to life. Kirsten starts school tomorrow and so Jeremy was able to give her a back to school father's blessing tonight. She was so thrilled. Her teacher made a special packet of "sleeping dust" (confetti) to help them sleep the night before school started. She was actually excited to go to bed because of it. Thank you Mrs. Sands. Tomorrow will be a big day for my little girl.

3 comments:

The Alleman Jamboree with C&D said...

i'm so glad you two were able to spend some time together without Kirsten. A well deserved night away. I'm jealous! :) HOpe you have a good week!

Janet Adams Starnes said...

Glad you were able to have a get-away. Those are always great. It will help you have the energy to get back to the grindstone of work and home. Love, MOM

Mom Alleman said...

I'm sure that Kirsten loves being back in school! We enjoyed having Kirsten here for a couple of days--She is such a sweetheart!