Sunday, October 11, 2009

Happenings

Life has been busy lately, but great. I finished Christmas shopping on Saturday except for Kacey and Tyler. What do you get two newlyweds for Christmas two days after their wedding? I still have a lot of sewing to do because most gifts will be homemade this year, but the supplies are purchased.

I finished Kirsten's Halloween costume tonight. She is going to be Alice In Wonderland. I could not find a pattern so I kind of pieced one together from various patterns that I had, made it bigger, copied an apron that Patty had, and VOILA! Alice in Wonderland. Note to the wise - never sew a dress whose pattern was intended for cotton out of costume satin - it was a nightmare! So you will have to wait until Halloween to see pictures, but if I do say so myself, it turned out pretty great. I also finished sewing a quilt for my sister's new baby, Emily. I will post a picture after I give it to her next week so she will still be surprised. I have also finished her baby announcements and am almost done with Kacey's wedding reception take aways. I am headed to my sisters this Saturday after running the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure. I am still not sure what possessed me to leave on a 14 hour drive by myself after getting up at 4 am to run a 5K, so please pray for Kirsten and me to be safe. When I get back from Kentucky in two weeks it will be time to finally start making Christmas Cards, pajamas and gifts. (Does anyone else feel this overwhelmed with their to-do list?)

So here are a few of the things that we have been up to lately.

Adoring Pictures of Emily



Who actually looks a whole lot like Kirsten at a week old.


Going to dance class.


Making homemade bread again - I gave this up for about two months- what was I thinking?!


and homemade butter to go on it.


Playing t-ball. Three games have now been rained out! But we love it when we get to go.


Playing with Sophie and other friends as much as possible.


My dad just got home from a month in Germany. He brought us home some hand painted pewter Christmas ornaments from Kathe Wolfhart and took some pretty amazing pictures. Here are two of my favorites.

This is a Fortepiano, a predecessor to the Pianoforte we now know as the piano. It was in a museum and he uncovered it to sneak a picture for me when no one was looking.


There is a story behind this picture. When I was in High School, my dad went to Germany on business and I asked him to take a picture of a castle for me. Everyone else got their gift, but no castle for me. The next time he went, he forgot his camera. So the third time I sent my camera with him and instead of a castle, I got an entire roll of pictures of a concentration camp. He went in August and got a few picture of a smaller castle, but his time he sent me this...

Thanks dad!

And finally, a very loud and obnoxious video of Kirsten playing the trumpet. I am so proud!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

I know Christmas is right around the corner, but I don't want to do much of anything until we have moved. I was just thinking this morning I need to get our family picture taken (and soon!).

Good luck on the long drive!

Eric & Amy said...

You are one busy gal!

Kacey Alleman said...

You are already doing so much for us Laura!! Don't you dare get us a thing!! I LOVED that video of Kirsten!! Her little dimples are so precious!! I can't believe how big she keeps getting!!