Monday, June 7, 2010

Wicked week of fire and pianos

This past weekend was a busy, but fun one. I guess technically I mean a week and a half ago, because this past weekend was terrible and long. Kirsten woke up at 1 am on Saturday complaining of her ear hurting. We never got her back to sleep, she just curled up on me and cried until morning. Talk about gut-wrenching. We got her into her pediatrician first thing Saturday morning, and she has her first-ever ear infection. I guess that making it to almost 5 before ever being on antibiotics is pretty good. It was still a rough weekend, and I have slept a grand total of 4 hours in the past 3 days. Add to that being 37 weeks pregnant, and I pretty much want to die right now.

Now for the fun weekend. We kicked of Memorial Day weekend with my piano recital. I went from 47 kids to 7 in my studio this year. We had the recital at the Ferguson's house since we had just a few kids. They all played so beautifully. They range from first year players all the way up. It is fun to see girls that I started from the beginning now playing Prelude in C, Fur Elise, Rondo a Capriccio, and Flower Song - to name a few. I really enjoyed sharing the morning with them.
We left the recital, ate lunch and headed down town. We took Kirsten to see "Wicked, the Musical". She has been begging to see it for the past two years and can sing through the entire soundtrack by herself. She had the fabulous idea of wearing a Dorothy costume that she borrowed from her Aunt Megan, her sparkly shoes, and had Jeremy braid her hair in pigtails. She sure knows how to draw attention to herself. I don't think there is any danger of this girl growing up to be shy.
I was able to get us seats in the front row of the balcony. That way, there would be no one in front of her and she would be able to see everything. I have to admit that I was seriously proud of my little girl. I am not sure how many 4 year olds would sit through a 3 hour musical without even so much as fidgeting. She loved it and we had a great time being out as a family. We are trying to do as much of that as we can lately, knowing that Katie will be here soon.
We spent Memorial Day BBQ hopping. We started out at a RRMom's group party at the pool. We got permission from the HOA to bring a grill in and had a potluck BBQ while we swam. Jeremy spent the entire time grilling, and as he put it "bonding with the guys". We had to leave that one early to head over to my dad's. He had smoked ribs the night before and they were amazing! They had also invited over two families from church, and we loved spending time with friends and family.

We have been trying to survive the 100 degree heat and find ways to keep Kirsten busy now that preschool and dance are out. She decided this past week that she likes to swim underwater and dive for her rings. She starts swimming lessons tomorrow, so I am excited to see how far she gets this year.

Three weeks ago we had a new fire station open up directly behind our house. It is both a blessing and a curse. We don't have to worry about our house burning down, but we hear all the alarms and sirens, and they set off the neighbor's dogs for about 20 minutes each time. Our RRMom's group set up a tour tonight for the kids to see the new station and we took dinner to the firefighters. Haley and I each made lasagne, and everyone else brought sides, drinks, and deserts. It was great to show them that we appreciate them, welcome them to the neighborhood, and let the kids get to know them.

Here is Kirsten with her friends Koral and Kenna. They moved her just a few months ago, but they quickly become an inseparable trio.
Kirsten loved climbing in and out of the fire truck and ambulance. When we came home she told us that she was going to be a girl firefighter when she grows up and asked me to make her a firefighter costume. She is so cute!
Other than that, we are spending everyday at the pool (that we don't have ear infections) trying to stay cool. Katie is still breech, and if she has not flipped by the sonogram this Friday, we will most likely end up having to schedule a C-Section. It is definitely not what I want, but I want her, so if that is what it takes, I guess I will have to accept it.

We have the nursery 90% done, so I will have to get pictures up soon. We are getting clothes washed, the cloth diapers are ready, and the cradle is down. It seems like everyday I think of something else we need to do or get down out of the attic. I am not sure if we will ever be completely ready, but we are definitely getting closer.

4 comments:

JoykLucyb said...

We found with each kid that you can prepare all you want, but you are never really "ready" when that baby comes. Good luck!

Eric & Amy said...

You have been busy! So glad you are doing well and soaking in these last few weeks with just one kid. I was so excited, yet so sad, to have Austin b/c Hannah was my bud. But Kirsten will be such an amazing big sis. Sorry to hear about Katie being breech. Hannah was breech ... well, feet-first, which started our c-section scheduling. I'll admit, for me, the 1st was hardest. But it gets better. Good luck! The big day is almost here! YAY!

Alison Alleman said...

You've got way too much going on for being 37 weeks pregnant! Good luck with the upcoming delivery! We are excited to be able to spend some time with this little baby!

Mom Alleman said...

I know we talk quite often and hear about your activities--but it's fun to read about everything on your Blog with the pictures! We are so excited for Katie to come! Love you guys!