Monday, August 23, 2010

First Day of Kindergarten

Kirsten started kindergarten today. I am not really sure when my baby girl grew up. She was ready to start school. Last night we picked out all of her clothes for the week, packed her lunch, and Jeremy braided her hair so it would be curly today. This morning we woke her up at 7 and Jeremy made her a special breakfast of eggs, bacon, biscuits, and cantaloupe. It was interesting to try to get her ready while nursing Katie, we will see how it goes tomorrow when Jeremy is not here to help us. She was so excited and spent the morning jumping up and down and making up cheers about going to school. We piled into the car and headed to the school. She told me that we could just drop her off, that she did not need us to walk her in. Sorry Kirsten, mommy is walking you in. We parked at my dad's house since he only live 4 houses down from the school and then walked over. Here she is out front squinting into the sun.
This is the entrance to the Kindergarten Pod. I love the way the school is set up. The Kinder and 1st grade share a pod and have their own entrance, computer lab, and bathrooms.
Her teacher is Mrs Rolfe. Kirsten already loves her and said she was the nicest teacher ever.
She quickly found her seat and I had to make her give me goodbye hugs and kisses. Jeremy just got a thumbs up.
I held it together pretty well until I turned around at the door and looked at her sitting there, so brave and sure of herself. That is when the tears started for me. I hope that I have taught her everything that she needs to know. I hope she makes friends. I hope that she grows in her self-confidence. I hope that she has learned to turn to her Heavenly Father when I cannot be by her side. I wish I could always hold on to her and protect her. I was so glad that Jeremy was with me to keep me from making her go home with me.After I dropped her off, I headed over to Vicki's house for a Cry and Cheer Gathering. It was great to cry and laugh with friends going through the same thing. It helped having moms with older kids there who were happy their kids went back to school, and so maybe I really won't cry everyday for the next 18 years.

Picking her up from school was a nightmare. We will have to figure something out for tomorrow. She had a great day. I am not sure why people say the kids are so tired after Kindergarten. She came home and was running around in circles and jumping up and down. It was harder to get her down tonight than last night. She said that PE was her favorite part of the day. She was thrilled to see all of her friends at lunch - none of them are in her class. Hopefully it will cool off in the next little while so that they can actually go to recess. I am excited to see everything she will learn this year. I am so proud of my little/big girl.

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Glad you had fun over here. Even through last year, the tiredness would hit Emma on Thursday of each week. She would get all crabby and sassy and I knew she was run down from the week. So as the week goes on she might get more tired.

Eric & Amy said...

Oh how I SO can relate! I feel like we were just there. Glad her first day went well! Glad YOU survived! Our kiddos are growing up ... which means we are too :)!

Janet Adams Starnes said...

I remember and sometimes miss the days when you all were young--it was a different kind of busy than I am now, but I really enjoyed it and loved you all. Love, MOM