Wednesday, September 22, 2010

This has been yet another busy week at the Alleman household. On Friday, Katie and I got to surprise Kirsten by having lunch with her at school. She was super excited when she saw us. She looked so grown up and she walked across the cafeteria with her lunch tray.
I somehow thought that she would want us to stay, but I was wrong. As soon as her class lined up she leaped out of her seat and into line. She was ready to get on with her day!
Katie has been learning new things everyday it seems. She loves sitting up in her Bumbo Chair. She seems to always want to be looking around and see what is going on. She prefers her chair to her play mat or tummy time. She has started playing with her rattles and absolutely loves books. Jeremy makes sure to take time to read to both of his girls every night.
Sometimes he is even lucky enough to get both girls in a snuggly mood at the same time. I think he is in Daddy Heaven!
Kirsten came down with a fever Monday night. We took her to the doctor and she had strep throat. Thank goodness our pediatrician is open until 7 pm now. So she had to stay home from school on Tuesday. She insisted on having her breakfast in bed, because according to her "that is what sick people do."
I was worried that she would have too much fun being home all day and not want to go back to school. It was quite the opposite. Every hour she would have me take her temperature and ask if she could go back to school yet. She kept checking the time and telling me what her friends were doing without her. I think she missed Writer's Workshop the most. At 5 pm when her fever finally broke, she went and got dressed for school. I had to break the news to her that it was already over. She was up this morning and ready to go out the door by 7:15.

Today we went to the pool after school to celebrate the 4th anniversary of our mom's group. I took Katie into the pool for the first time. I was seriously surprised at how much she loved it. We stayed in for over an hour and she smiled, splashed and was content the entire time.
She crashed as soon as I got her changed so we let Kirsten swim for another hour while she slept on me. We will have to go back with Jeremy before it cools off.

I am so thrilled with how much Katie smiles and love all of the new noises she makes as she finds more control over her voice. She is such a creature of habit and so patient with me. I have to wake her up every morning to take Kirsten to school and she does not fuss at all as I put her in the car, come home, change her diaper and then feed her. She is ready to eat every day at 10:30, no matter when she last ate, and she insists on being put in bed by 11:30 for her nap. She has her night time routine down too and will let us know if we do it in the wrong order. This could be good or bad, I am not sure which yet. Her favorite time of day is when we pick Kirsten up from school and gets so excited when I put her in her carseat to go get her. I love seeing how they have already bonded as sisters.

Kirsten is learning to read and write more words everyday. She is always carrying around a notepad and pencil and is writing constantly. She is starting to make connections between words, such as ice, then she can figure out nice, rice ect... Sometimes I think I can even see the wheels in her head turning and processing things. She tells me everyday about the new friends she is making. Last week she even wrote a letter to a little boy she met in the pick up line to ask him to play with her at recess. I cannot believe how easily she makes friends.

Jeremy and I are just trying to keep up these days. He is taking on more responsibility at work and then picks up all my slack when he gets home. I am teaching 14 lessons so far this year and have decided to be Kirsten's Girl Scout Troop Leader. I have my first training tomorrow night. So we are busy, but that is the way we like it!

2 comments:

Janet Adams Starnes said...

I am so proud of you Laura for hanging in there and getting past the hardest part of having a hard pregnancy, then a c-section, etc. It sounds like you are back to your busy, creative self once again. Kirsten and Katie and doing so well! Love, MOM

Mom Alleman said...

You just told me about all of these things earlier--but it was sure fun to read about how well the girls are doing and how busy and happy you all are. Love you guys!