Saturday, October 16, 2010

Girl Scouts

As many of you know, I volunteered to be a Daisy Girl Scout Troop Leader this year. I am still not quite sure what I have gotten myself into. I did it because I wanted Kirsten to be in Girl Scouts, my mom was my troop leader and it was always really special to me, and no one else would do it.

It has been a long process spanning 2 months to get our troop started. Luckily I have an amazing co-leader, Kim, who is super organized and creative. We have some really fun activities planned for the girls this year and they can hardly wait to start earning their patches and petals. Kirsten has been especially excited and super patient as I went to trainings, held parent meetings, and did more paperwork than ever before in my life.

Finally, this week we had our first meeting with the girls. We have 10 delightful five year old kindergarteners in our troop.

Here is the most beautiful Daisy ever!
They earned their "Sister to every Scout" petal this week. We talked about the Girl Scout Promise, tried to teach it to them, and talked about what it means to be a sister. Then the girls paired up and traced each other on big sheets of paper and drew a Daisy uniform on their likeness. It was organized chaos to say the least, but I think they had fun.
We will be meeting every other week for the rest of the school year. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Janet Adams Starnes said...

I am proud of you for taking on this huge undertaking. I know what a big committment it is since I did it for ten years! Love you, MOM