Sunday, October 10, 2010

State Fair Disaster

So for some reason we decided that it would be a good idea to go to the State Fair this weekend. Nothing went as planned and we will be recuperating for quite some time from it.

We were planning on leaving at 9 am in order to get there by the time it opened at 10. We did not end up leaving until 9:30, but still not the end of the world. Katie by the way, HATES being in the car. She screams bloody murder from the time we leave anywhere until we get back. I don't understand it, we used to drive Kirsten around to calm her down. Anyway, Katie was freaking out in the car and we realized that it was time for her to eat. So we got off the freeway and I nursed her in the car while Jeremy and Kirsten walked around Hobby Lobby for a half an hour. Now it was 10:15, I guess we are not making it by opening now.

So off we go again down 75, and about 2 miles before the I-30 exit, traffic stopped dead. After 20 minutes and a quarter of a mile, Kirsten and I both had to go potty. So we pulled out of the line just to get stopped in another 2 mile back up for MLK Parkway. So we pulled out of that line and took the next exit onto Lamar street. This put us in the heart of Oak Cliff. Not somewhere I ever wanted to find myself. As we were inching along looking for a bathroom, a car pulled out in front of us and we had to stop. Just then, I heard the sound that no one ever wants to hear, crashing metal. My first instinct was to check my girls. They both seemed to be okay, but crying hysterically. Then I checked Jeremy and myself. We're okay. Then I looked behind us. We were rear-ended by a fully-loaded cement truck. Fabulous. We pulled into the turn lane and Jeremy got out of the car. I called 911, for the first time in my life. Apparently in Dallas they don't send Police out if there are no injuries, you are just supposed to exchange information. So I got out and told them that. The driver of the truck said it was our fault and refused to give us anything. So I called 911 for the second time in my life and they sent a police officer out. He did not have proof of insurance and had to get a hold of his boss who then brought the insurance for the wrong truck and had to get someone else to bring the right one. The guys were being really shady and kept changing stories, so the police officer opened a case report to document everything. We ended up being there for 2 hours through all of this. Kirsten was such a trooper and Katie screamed the entire time. The car is still driveable, but the whole back end will need to be replaced and who knows what other damage was done that we can't see because of the weight of the truck. I am not looking forward to dealing with the insurance company this week.

So after all of this, we decided to still head to the fair. By the time we got there, the parking at the Fair was full. We finally found a High School that was parking on the football field to raise money for the ROTC. We decided that was probably the safest place, so we parked and walked a mile to the fair grounds. We then waited in line for an hour to buy Kirsten's ticket (Jeremy and I had ours already from a friend.) So finally at 1:15, 4 hours after we left, we arrived at the Fair and finally got to use the bathroom. In hind sight, it might have been faster to have waited in the traffic back up!

We realized as soon as we got to the fair that we had taken the camera out of the back pack to take pictures of the accident and left it in the car. So we don't even have pictures of the fair. Jeremy and Kirsten looked at the animals while I nursed Katie. They had "Baby Care Centers" set up all around the fair. They were horrid. They were tents made out of tarps with no air circulation and mud on the ground. It was wonderful to feed Katie with no privacy, while sweating profusely and having your feet sinking into mud. So not my idea of fun. Then Kirsten and I went to "Little Hands on the Farm" which was actually pretty fun. Then the football game ended. It got so crowded that it took over an hour for us to walk from the farm to the auto show. Kirsten almost passed out from lack of air because the crowd was so thick, so Jeremy ended up carrying her on his shoulders while I pushed a screaming Katie in the stroller. The auto show was too crowded to even get near the cars. So we headed out and waited an hour in line to buy $1 hot dogs. Then we pushed our way through more crowds and I nursed Katie again, and it was even hotter this time, while Jeremy and Kirsten went on one ride. That filled 5 hours. I could not believe it. We were all totally beat and had basically done nothing. So we began the trek back to the car. Katie screamed the entire way home and stopped as soon as we walked in the door.

Kirsten keeps asking when we are going to go back to the fair and actually do something. My answer, Never. At least not on a Saturday, and we are taking DART.

7 comments:

Jodi & Chris Reeve said...

Oh wow, that does sound like a terrible day! I hope this week is better and that the insurance company treats you as they should.

Eric & Amy said...

Oh what an awful story! I'm so sad you had such a terrible day! This is reminding me why we have yet venture out to the fair. And after your story, we may never try :). Good luck with the insurance company. Hope you are all feeling well after being plowed by cement!

Heather said...

Oh my- I thought we had a bad day at the fair! You have us beat there. I thought the little farm was the funnest thing there, and free, too! Sorry about your car.. so sad!

The Lenderman's said...

I'm so sorry that it all happened. IF we ever go again, I'm going to avoid Saturday. It really was nuts!
If I can be any help while you get your car fixed, let me know.
As a side note, when you talk to the insurance company, include the cost of new carseats for the girls...they should be replaced after any accident.

The Astounding Andersens said...

What an awful experience!! I'm thankful that none of y'all got injured! We hope your car gets fixed soon! We are also sorry that y'all had such a lousy time at the State Fair!

ellen said...

We are so glad that you are all safe! What a scary experience to go through (both the accident AND the fair). Sounds like the State Fair is one of those "do it once" experiences. Love you!

Janet Adams Starnes said...

Sounds like a good idea to take the DART next time. I am especially glad that you are all safe. I hope USAA really gets that company to pay and gets them in trouble--what jerks.