Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Great Alleman Flood Part 2

So after our pipe broke two weeks ago, we were so grateful that it was an easy fix and were able to get the little bit of water in our master bedroom up with a shop vac.  Fast forward 5 days to Thursday, and it broke again!  The only difference this time was that I was at work, and so it was leaking for an entire day.   I came home that afternoon to 3 inches of standing water in our entire house.  Our wonderful neighbor helped me get the water shut off and then I began getting as much up with the shopvac as I could as Kirsten started picking up things in her room to save what she could.

The emergency water extraction company could not get there until Friday afternoon because they were so backed up.  They had to tear out our carpet pad, carpet, remove all of our baseboards, and cut away the bottom 6 inches of sheetrock around our entire house.   They cranked the heat up to 90 degrees, had two de-humidifiers running along with 10 fans.  I am not looking forward to that electric bill!   It took until Monday to get everything dry.  The contractor came on Tuesday to put together a repair estimate and the insurance company approved it on Thursday.  This Wednesday, the carpet company is coming to take a sample of carpet to get a replacement cost estimate.  I still do not know when they are actually going to start construction.

This has been more than I have ever wanted to deal with.  Thank goodness that my dad lives so close and has let us stay at his house indefinitely.  Kirsten is loving being able to walk to school, and I have to admit that it is nice being so close to school.

We are in Kansas at my mom's right now.   We had the tickets a while ago and decided to still come.  It has been nice to get away from the mess and not have to think about it too much for a few days.  I have been SO TIRED ever since we got here though, and Jeremy thinks that my body is finally relaxing after the past few weeks and just wants to rest.

When we get home tomorrow night, it will be time to start going through things and taking pictures and putting together a personal property loss report for the insurance company.  Most of our hardwood furniture seems okay, but it is the pressed wood stuff from IKEA that is destroyed, and we have a lot of that.  I am just ready to get this chapter of our lives closed,  and move back into my home.  Maybe then Katie and Kirsten will start sleeping all night again.

4 comments:

Eric & Amy said...

Oh Laura! How awful! I hope this chapter does pass quickly for you and days, weeks, years perhaps from now you can find some laughter in it all. In the mean time, hang in there. This WILL pass!

Alison Alleman said...

Seriously Laura, that sounds like a nightmare. I'm sorry you're having to go through this. Hopefully it won't be long until things are back to normal. We're thinking of you.

Mom Alleman said...

We are so sorry about everything that you have had to go through and so glad that you are getting some rest, Laura. Please let us know when you get back and what we can do to help you this week. I would love to "play Grandma" while you do your inventory. We sure love you guys!

Janet Adams Starnes said...

I hope you are able to get back into your home soon. We sure enjoyed our visit with you all last weekend. We miss you guys already. I put away the playdoh and leggos today and thought a lot of Kirsten. Hope all gets better for you all. Love, MOM