Sunday, March 27, 2011

Portion Distortion

One of mine and Jeremy's favorite things to do is to go out and eat.   I have desperately been trying to find things to do together that do not involve food.  Last night, I broke down.  We went out to eat for the first time in two weeks (which may be a record for us, sadly).  We went to one of our favorites, Cotton Patch Cafe.  I looked longingly over their  menu full of rich comfort food, and then very carefully decided on a salad.  I even asked for no dressing.  The first bite was gross, but I thought, I can do this, I HAVE to do this, the second bite made me ill, and the third bite came back up (sorry, gross, I know).  My wonderful, loving husband offered to switch plates with me.  So he ate my salad, while I ate his meatloaf, mashed potatoes and broccoli.  Each and every bite came with a renewed sense of guilt at my failure.  I felt even worse when we were leaving and I saw two other women eating the same salad.  How come they can do it and I can't?  So when we got home, I looked up the nutrition facts, just to see how bad I had been.  I was shocked to say the least.

Nutritional Facts             Chicken Salad                    Meatloaf Plate
Calories                              1657                                   537
Fat                                      111                                      52
Sodium                               5539                                    1441
Carbs                                   95                                     38

I was blown away.   You mean that I can eat meatloaf, mashed potatoes and broccoli for a third the calories of a salad with chicken?!!

I decided to look up the nutrition facts from some of our other favorite restaurants as well.  I learned a couple of things.
1) Eating "just a salad"  is almost always the worst option.
2) I am NEVER going to go to restaurant again without looking up the nutrition facts first and picking out my meal BEFORE I get there.
3) My body is getting used to having healthier things and actually rejected the unhealthy food.

I think that this is an indicator of a lot of what is wrong with our society.  We are making ourselves fat through lack of information and ascribing to myths about food.  I am grateful for the knowledge that I am gaining and the positive effect that it is having on my health.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Instead of counting calories, keep track of fiber and protien & of course portion size. Protien fills you up and fiber pushes it out. Don't deprive yourself, that only will make you resentful and want to quit. You can do this! Proud of you for taking on the challenge.