Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Weight Loss Journey

It seems that we all have something in our life that we struggle with the most.  Often times these are buried so deep within us that they are hidden from the rest of the world.  When your deepest struggle is your weight, it is out there for the whole world to see.  I think that this makes it even harder.  It is no secret that I have struggled with my weight since my mission 10 years ago.  I could go into all of the reasons why, childhood trauma, coping mechanisms ect...  The reality is that these things do not matter to me anymore. I have decided NO MORE.  I drew a line in the sand that I will not cross.  I am changing my life, completely.

I am working with a counselor to deal with the childhood trauma, coping mechanisms ect...  I am going to the gym everyday but Sunday.  We bought bikes.  We have purged our house, and I am even cooking fish!  (I know, HUGE shocker there.)  So today is our one week mark.  So far I am down 9.5 pounds!  At one point I was down a little more, but it was a rough weekend.  But seriously, 9.5 pounds in one week?! I have not lost that in the past 3 years.  I am motivated and excited.  I am trying to teach myself and my children healthy habits that will last the rest of our lives.  My goal is 75 pounds this year and another 45 next year.  I am going to do this, and you are going to hold me accountable.  I will keep a running update everyweek on the side of my blog.  If you see me lapse - PLEASE kick me in the face.

There are so many people who have been a motivation to me, many do not even know it.  I would say the three people who have inspired me the most have been Aime Rittler and Allie Sensinger with their continual running and Jodi Reeve with her working out.  They keep me motivated and I finally decided, if they can do it, so can I!

So here it goes.  Week Two.

8 comments:

Jodi & Chris Reeve said...

Good for you! I don't know if I do enough to be honored to be an example, but I do know how hard it is to balance everything! I also have a lot of past issues that are the driving force with my weight and I think the acknowledgment of it means a lot! I too have had to draw a line in the sand and decide my future and my families future is what is most important and despite the ups and downs, I think I am at a point of more ups than downs! Working out is easy for me, but my diet has been horrible since pregnancy when I got frustrated by the fact that it didn't seem to matter if I ate healthy or not, the lbs keep coming! I have to change my mind set! Working out is easy, especially as a fitness instructor! It gets me to the gym:)Have you tried zumba? It is a lot of fun, if you get the right instructor!

Alison Alleman said...

Laura, you're awesome. Way to go on the 9.5 pounds :) Great start! There's nothing like posting your progress on your blog to give you motivation. Good luck! Now I just need to find some of that motivation...

Janica said...

That's great! I have had a hard time getting the weight off after this last pregnancy. I decided to buckle down too and do it. Otherwise, I am just unhappy and have a really poor image of myself. I have started working out 5-6 days per week and it does get addicting. It helps me have a little me time to just go run for half an hour. You can totally do it and I am excited to see what new things you try and get tips from you!

Ryan, Cassie and Crew said...

Good for you Laura! You inspire me. Maybe we should start a healthy recipe exchange? We all have to know a few good ones, what do you think?

The Alleman Jamboree with C&D said...

you are awesome, i need to get motivated like that. pregnancy #2 kept my weight on for sure. give me some tips will you!

Eric and Amy said...

You are my inspiration! I think it's a never ending journey for us all! Wish I didn't love food so much! I'll be cheering you on ... and feel free to blog about it to keep inspiring me to get moving too! :)

Mom Alleman said...

Way to go Laura! You are truly amazing! We love you!

Janet Adams Starnes said...

Laura, you are inspiring to me with your motivation. I am trying to get myself motivated again. I got a 'total gym' for my birthday and have it separate from Clinton's in the upstairs bedroom where my computer is--now 'my office'. I have been using it, and am trying to become more faithful in using it every day. My left knee has been giving me trouble, but I am trying to work through it and hopefully not damage it. I have as my written goal 20 pounds this year which would bring my total to 70. It is a hard struggle especially as you get older. I am very proud of you Laura. Love, MOM