Wednesday, May 4, 2011

One of THOSE days

Yesterday was one of THOSE days.  It actually started off pretty good.  I went to the gym for an hour, came home and got Katie down for a nap.  I got to take a real shower and actually put on makeup and fix my hair.  I dropped her off at the babysitters, and headed to work.  Out of 8 students, only 2 had practiced in the past week during TAKS testing, but I can deal with that.  So far so good.

I got back to the babysitter's at 2:45 to pick up Katie.  I usually just hang out and talk with Holley, and Kirsten walks home from school with her two kids.  At 3:15 the phone rang.  It was Cathleen.  She was with a sobbing Kirsten in front of the school.  Meghan and Tyler had forgotten it was Tuesday because of the holiday on Monday and left without her.  So I took off running the 3 blocks to the school, in heels, to rescue my poor little kindergartener.  She cried the whole way back.  "I thought you were leaving me there forever.  I thought you didn't want me anymore since you have Katie now.  I thought you didn't love me anymore."  On and on and on....

So next we headed to the grocery store.  She was so wonderful and such a great helper, so I let her pick out a treat.  She chose a Nestle Crunch bar.  When we pulled up in the garage, I turned around to see both of her hands completely coated in chocolate.  The garage is so full of stuff right now that she cannot get out her door and I could not get in to help her.  So I had to clean her up so she could unbuckle and climb out the other side of the car, all while Katie was screaming bloody murder.

So now it was 4:30 and I had a  piano lesson coming at 5, and still had to get groceries put away and the enchiladas made and into the oven.  I was doing fairly well until she showed up early at 4:45.  So I frantically threw the last things together, made Katie a bottle and got ready to teach.  Kirsten offered to give Katie her bottle, so I got her set up in the recliner with a pillow.  Then instead of taking the bottle cover off, she unknowingly unscrewed the lid and poured 8 ounces of formula on Katie's face.  It went EVERYWHERE!  Katie, Kirsten, the chair, the pillow, the floor, covered in milk.  I got a towel and wiped her down and gave another one to Kirsten to clean up, made another bottle and sat down to feed her while teaching.  About five minutes later, Katie started pushing and blew out her diaper.  Out the top, the back, the sides, everything all over me and her.  Thank goodness I have been teaching Megan for over 5 years and she knows this is not normal!

We managed to have a pretty quiet dinner, but then Jeremy needed to go to Home Depot and I decided to take the girls to story time at the Library.  As it turns out, there is no story time during the month of May.  Kirsten broke down sobbing in the library, declaring that they had broken her heart.  Of course right on cue, Katie decided to start screaming.  Only then did I realize that I actually forgot to feed the baby dinner.  I guess that is what she gets for being the second child.  So I pulled out some snacks to calm her down and then had a genius idea for Kirsten.  We signed her up for her very own Library card.  She was thrilled.  She said that it healed her and was even better than story time.  Thank goodness.

When we came home, it was bathtime.  Jeremy graciously offered to bathe the girls while I sat down for a few minutes.  All of a sudden I hear Jeremy shouting from the other room.  This NEVER happens, so I quickly ran into the bathroom.  Kirsten had decided to play in the tub and had flooded the bathroom with about an inch of water.  It is a good thing we tiled it last month!  She has lost bath privileges, only showers for a month.

By the time we got the kids in bed I looked at Jeremy and started laughing hysterically.  I could not believe all that had happened in the past 4 hours.  I guess that is being a mom though, and at least I could laugh at it!

5 comments:

Ryan, Cassie and Crew said...

Honestly I’m not sure if I’m laughing or crying right now. (I blame the hormones.) Those kinds of days can be so funny when you’re looking back but seem like they’ll never end when you’re in the middle of them. Good job not strangling anyone. We miss you and your cute family.

Eric and Amy said...

Talk about a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day! UGH! Glad to hear you could laugh about it in the end!

Janet Adams Starnes said...

I am glad you can laugh at them--otherwise you would be crying. It is good that you are writing about them for posterity. I wish I had written more when you were young, but I thought I was too busy. Love you bunches, MOM

Janet Adams Starnes said...

I wish I could have seen Katie with 8 ounces of formula all over her--that would have been funny--what did Kirsten do? Oops.... And the blow out--wish I could forget about those....

Mom Alleman said...

I promise--you will remember some of "those kinds of day"--but you will mostly remember the wonderful days of being parents :) You guys are really great parents--Kirsten and Katie are so Blessed! Thank you for your Blogs--We love you so much!