Friday, July 29, 2011

Side Trips

We left Sunday after lunch and headed up to Flagstaff.  On the way there we took a side trip to see Montezuma's Castle.  I have to admit that I love seeing the look on Jeremy's face when he sees all of these incredible places that I grew up with.  

 Kirsten also got to do the Junior Ranger program here too.  She kept saying that she wanted to stay the night in the castle rather than going to our hotel.  Katie slept through the whole thing.  I guess we will have to go back some day.
We stayed Sunday night in Flagstaff and woke up early Monday morning to head to the Grand Canyon (more to come on that later)  On the way, we took another side trip to Arizona Snow Bowl.  There is not any snow this time of year, but this is where we used to go skiing as kids.
It was pretty funny that when we got there, Jeremy said "I didn't think there were trees in Arizona."  HA!   He loved it there and swears that he wants to move to Flagstaff now.  I am sure it had something to do with the fact that it was 65 degrees and overcast, but that is just a guess.
Jumping ahead, on the way home, we stopped in Holbrook.  We had to drive by the WigWam Hotel.

In case you can't tell, this is the hotel on old Route 66 that the Cozy Cone Hotel from "CARS" was based on.  It is only a few blocks from the house my Grandparents lived in for over 50 years, and where my dad grew up.  I have so many great memories of this place as a kid and teenager.  We loved to play in the mountains and go to the lake on Grandpa's boat.  We even made some good friends there over the years.  I am so glad that I finally got to share it with Jeremy.
These little side trips helped break up the driving some and were a ton of fun.

1 comment:

Jodi & Chris Reeve said...

Yay for summer family vacations! Looks like you had a great time! And you are looking great Laura!