Saturday, August 27, 2011

Changes you never saw coming...

So, it is official.  We are pet owners.  I know, I know, it is something we swore we would never do, but alas, all parents do give in eventually, right?  
Introducing Ponyo.
Yes, Ponyo is a beta fish!  And a rather pretty one if you ask me.  What did you think we got?
We promised Kirsten six months ago that if she could keep her room clean for two weeks we would get her a beta.  She finally was able to do it this week.  If you can't tell, she designed the bowl herself, and is so proud of her first pet.

Over the past few months we have been making a lot of changes in our lifestyle, trying to be healthier.  Yesterday I finished the Couch to 5k running program.  It took me 4 months instead of 2, but I did it.  When I started, I could barely run the required one minute.  After 2 minutes of running, my heart rate would be up over 180-190 bpm.  Now four months and 54 pounds later, I can run for 30 minutes and keep my heart rate between 156-160 bpm.  It feels so amazing.  I am still going sort of slow, but I am now going to work on my speed and distance since.  I have actually grown to love running and my body starts getting warmed up and excited when I put my running shoes on.

We have also been trying to make some healthy food changes and are doing pretty well, but I could not help but feel there was more that we could do.  Then this week Jeremy and I watch Food Inc.  Holy Moly.  If you have never seen it, you need to, like right now.  It is on Netflix Insta-play.  Go watch it. NOW.  I knew some of this, but not the extent of it.  So Jeremy and I sat down this week, did some research, budgeting, recipe and menu planning, and lots of talking.  This morning we headed out with a plan to the Farmer's Market.
We really had a great time.  There are so many neat things there, live music, face painting, and tons of food.  The biggest changes we are making are buying grass-fed beef and pastured chicken and eggs.  We are focusing on organic produce and fresh, raw, cheeses.  We have a plan to expand our garden and will be doing some fall planting in the next few weeks.  It will take some getting used to, but I am really excited about it.  I want to not only keep my family healthy, but make a difference by supporting local farmers.  For breakfast this morning we had fresh pastured eggs with fresh goat cheese, organic cantaloupe, fresh bread that I baked (ground the wheat, local honey ect...) topped with fresh plum jam.  I am excited to see the difference that this makes in our health over the next few months.  Kirsten is already talking about taking her spending envelope with her next week and the things that she wants to get at the market.

This has been a year of changes for our family, and most of them have been good changes.  I love life, love my family, and look forward to what the future will bring.

4 comments:

Eric and Amy said...

Congrats on the changes! So exciting. And sometimes exhausting. But So worth it!

Heather said...

That's awesome, we're making some of the same changes with our foods, too. Another good read is "Deep Nutrition"- Dr. Taylor recommended it and it sort of blew me away! Same things, though- cage free eggs, grass fed, etc. is the way to go! Basically, the foods the Lord created instead of what men have come up with! I stopped eating sugar and the little kangaroo pouch I've had on my stomach for 7 years is starting to disappear. Hurray!

Janet Adams Starnes said...

I am so proud of you Laura! I keep trying to make changes, but you blow me away with your determination and drive. Keep on keeping on! Love, MOM

Mom Alleman said...

You are amazing Laura! And I can't wait to see the "new addition" to your family! You guys are wonderful and we love you so much!