Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Musical Popcorn Randomness

Survival has been the name of the game these past few weeks.  It has been so unbelievably hot and we have had to become very creative with finding indoor activities to keep these little ones busy.  I got really desperate and pulled the water table into the house.
 We have been playing many games - most of them Kirsten originals - and they usually involve making Katie laugh.  But honestly, she is so cute, how can you not want to make her laugh all of the time?!
 Speaking of Katie, it has not been all fun and games.  Kirsten and I were painting while Katie took a nap on Friday and forgot to put it away.  The end result was not pretty.
 Jeremy and I went on a date on Saturday to the most amazing movie theatre ever.  It is call IPIC  - you should totally look it up!  The seats are plush recliners, they give you pillows and blankets, and you can order food to eat while you watch.  We saw The Help, and it was so wonderful to be out without the kids.  Jeremy made me pose for a picture on the way out, so I thought I would share.  I am finally starting to feel comfortable with myself again.
 On Monday, Kirsten treated Katie to her first Tea Party.  She was a little frustrated that Katie could not seem to leave things in their place, but I reminded her that practice makes perfect, and now we have been having one every day.
 On Monday we also had Michael and Rachael over while their mom took their brand new baby sister to the pediatrician.  The big kids wanted a movie and popcorn and of course Katie had to be right up there with them.
On Tuesday, I paid Kirsten to babysit Katie for 30 minutes while I taught a trumpet lesson.  She was determined to prove to me that she was the best babysitter ever.  I did not hear a peep from them the entire time.  Afterwards, this is how I found them on my bed.  Can you tell that we like popcorn around here?!
Kirsten has been obsessed with my trumpet for a long time, but now Katie is wanting to play it all the time too.  She likes to get out her plastic trumpet and climb up in the lesson chairs.  Kirsten is thrilled to have graduated to the "real trumpet" since Katie has the plastic one now.  Maybe someday I will be able to start my very own Brass Band in my Living Room!
Tuesday was a long anticipated day for Kirsten - she started her Violin lessons!  I do not think that anyone has ever been more thrilled.  She practiced 4 times today!

She has been begging to start for a while, but I told her she had to know all her treble and bass clef notes first and get through her first level of piano books. So yesterday was the day!  Thank you Sister Hope for teaching her.

I can hardly believe that school starts next week.  Kirsten is excited to meet her new teacher on Friday, and her new dance teacher tomorrow.  Kirsten had her six year old check up today and weighed in at 57 lbs (90%) and 48 inches (88%).  She is getting so big!  We have been busy getting everything ready for schoool and I think we may actually be done.  Last night we went to a mommy/daughter stamping night and had fun making notebooks and bows.  Then today I met with my new Girl Scout Co-Leader and we planned the year.  I am looking forward to teaching more next week and getting back into a more normal schedule.

My sister-in-law, Kacey, had her first baby on Saturday.  She is in Idaho, so it will be a few more weeks until we get to meet Leah. We are so excited for her and Tyler.  
That is it for now, only four more days of summer.  Is anyone else counting?

2 comments:

The Alleman Jamboree with C&D said...

Love the pictures, your girls are getting so big. hope we can both find plenty of fun activities for these kiddos during the hot heat before school starts.

Janet Adams Starnes said...

Laura it is so good to see pictures of you and your family doing things, it really helps me keep up with what is going on with them. You are looking great! The girls are growing up so fast. I cannot wait to see them in September when I come down there.

Love, MOM