Sunday, January 29, 2012

Thirty-eight pounds....

You may ask yourself - What could I do with 38 lbs of apples?  Well let me answer that for you.  We got 38 lbs of apples on Saturday for $22.50, too incredible to pass up. I had great plans for them, but honestly had no idea how quickly they would multiply as we started cooking them!

They came in a huge box with 5 layers of apples. 
 Jeremy and Kirsten very diligently peeled, cored and sliced the apples.
 Then we cooked the apples
 And stirred....
 Then we had to mash, and mash....
 and mash some more.
Put that mush into jars
And then the best part - processing them in the pressure canner I got for Christmas!
The result......

14 pints of homemade applesauce
13 jars of apple jelly, and 4 containers of apple freezer jam.
Not bad for a days work!  The best part is that we only used about 24 pounds of apples and still have 14 pounds left.  I ran out of jars, so tomorrow we will be getting more and I am going to try canning apple pie filling.  I really enjoyed doing this more than I ever imagined and I can hardly wait to try something else.  I  think a salsa garden may be in the works this spring!

No comments: