Friday, May 4, 2012

Food Choices

If there is one thing that I have learned about myself, it is that when it comes to loosing weight, for me it is about 75% what I eat.  I had been doing really well and lost over 60 pounds in 4 months.  Then i hurt my foot in October and I stalled out.  Then I had foot surgery and started gaining.  Right when I decided that I really had to buckle down and make some drastic changes in the way I was eating, my sister-in-law Kacey was apparently feeling similar.  She started Facebook group for all of the sister-in-laws and we have been supporting each other in making changes.  It has been really good for me.  I have already lost a few pounds in the last 2 1/2 weeks and am feeling great.  I also got the all clear from my doctor today to start light exercise again.  

I have found that preparation is key for me.  I prep everything ahead of time.  I have sliced cucumbers ready to go, diced peppers and onions, grated cheese, pre-cooked turkey sausage, grilled chicken breast chunks, cut up fruit all ready in the fridge when I need them.  I thought I would share some of my favorite foods from the past two weeks.

Cucumber chips - I use sliced cucumbers for everything I used to use chips for.  I put a slice of cheese and a slice of turkey pepperoni on each cucumber slice.  Yummy!
 For lunch I love ham roll ups - two slices of ham rolled up around a slice of cheese, peppers and avocado, then I cook them on a skillet.
 For breakfast I love omelets, protein pancakes or fruit with ricotta or cottage cheese.
I am also trying to find ways to adapt dinner for me while still feeding my family the foods they love.  I made Italian Chicken last week and put mine over steamed broccoli while everyone else had noodles.  Last night I made sausage stir-fry and ate mine without the rice.  Then today for lunch I took the leftovers and added some pre-cooked chicken and snap peas.  If you will notice, I also always use a smaller saucer plate now.  I think that we all like to fill our plate, so if the plate is smaller, we eat less.
 I also bought a bento-box.  I seriously love this thing for the days I go to work.  It helps me control my portions and be sure that I have a good, balanced variety.  Here are my bento-box lunches from this week.
 Cottage cheese, strawberries, carrots and ham roll ups.
 Carrots, cantaloupe, strawberries, ham roll ups and beef jerky.

I have been really trying to be better about how I eat.  I have increased my protein, fruit and veggies, and have completely cut out carbs.  I may slowly add some back in later, but I have identified my "trigger foods"  and I have to completely avoid those.  It gets easier everyday to make these choices.

"Don't give up what you want most for what you want in the moment."

1 comment:

Janet Adams Starnes said...

I have never seen a 'bento' box before, but I like it! You are such an inspiration Laura! Love, MOM