Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Primary Temple Trip

On Saturday our ward had a wonderfully planned day at the temple.  I was able to take Kirsten and her friends Madelyn and Macy down there that afternoon.  It was such a beautiful day - in the 60's and overcast, and they enjoyed time mingling with their friends by the fountain.
 As 3 o'clock rolled around, the kids all met in the grass where Bishop Smith spoke to them about the importance of temples.
 We were somehow able to get all those kids together for a group picture.  We had a little less than half of our primary come.  I know it is hard to get out on a Saturday, but we were so glad to have as many kids there as we did.
 The highlight of the trip was when the kids were able to go inside the temple and sit on the steps in the foyer.  A temple matron came out and spoke to the kids and then they were able to sing "I Love to See the Temple" and some other songs.  It was amazing to see close to a hundred kids sitting in absolute silence for nearly half an hour inside the temple.  I know that it is a truly sacred place and that they were able to feel that.

While we were singing, the youth were finishing up their session of baptisms.  Then the kids divided into groups and the youth took them around the temple grounds to share a presentation about the temple.  Did you know that the Angel Moroni is 7 feet tall and that there are 40,000 marble tiles on the outside of the temple?!
Each primary child was also given a printed copy of the testimonies of the youth from our ward.  I thought that it was a beautiful way to bring them together and build unity across the ages.

I treated the girls to ice cream on the way home, which seems to be the only part they really remember.  I am glad that I was able to take them though.  I know that the more they experience the special spirit that is at the temple, the more important that it will become in their lives.

1 comment:

Janet Adams Starnes said...

That sounds like it was a wonderful field trip. I wish they had those types of activities when I was young and when you were young. Love, MOM