Monday, June 25, 2012

Tender Mercies

"But behold, I will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance."
                                                                               ~ 1 Nephi 1:20


Today was one of those days that was emotionally and physically challenging, yet one that I never want to forget because of tender lessons learned.  Since this blog seems to be more my journal, I am going to share it here.

It started off as any other summer day with going to the gym and then the pool.  At about 11:30, I was sitting next to Kirsten on the piano bench helping her with her music theory.  She got frustrated with me and flayed her arms out to the side, exclaiming "I got it, okay!"  And in that same instant stabbed my left eye with two pencils.

It was instantaneous, intense pain.  I could not open my eye.  I ran to the bathroom to assess the damage only to realize that my eye was bleeding and I could not see.  I sank to the floor, sure that I had just lost my eye.  I was crying hysterically, not knowing what to do.

Just then Kirsten walked in with tears streaming down her face and a bowl in her hand.  She told me that she had gone to her room to say a prayer for me and that Heavenly Father told her to bring me a bowl of water. I placed my eye in the water and blinked multiple times.  After repeating this three times, my eye was cleared and I could see, although it was fuzzy.  I just hugged Kirsten and cried more, knowing that she had felt the prompting of the Holy Ghost and had the faith and courage to act on it.

After trying to get a hold a few family members, I felt prompted to call my friend, Holley.  She brought her oldest son over to watch my girls (Katie was napping through all of this) and drove me to the optometrist.  It turns out that Kirsten missed my cornea by less than one milimeter.  I have a 3 mm long cut on the conjuctiv (white part) of my eye from the point of one pencil and a bruise on my eye from the eraser of the other.  Had she gotten my cornea, he said I might have lost vision in my eye because of how deep the cut was.  As it is, I have to use an antibiotic cream for a week, avoid my contacts for 10 days, and just treat the pain symptoms.

So I feel like I can look back on today and thank the Lord for his tender mercies.  That my cornea was missed and there will be no permanent damage, just pain for a few days.  For wonderful friends who are willing to drop everything and rescue me and my family.  And most importantly that my precious daughter was taught an important lesson through all of this of how the Lord speaks to her, personally, and answers her heartfelt prayers.

May we all look through the trials of our lives, whatever they may be, and seek for the tender mercies of our Lord, for I truly believe that they are there.

3 comments:

Alison Alleman said...

Oh my gosh, Laura, that sounds scary!!! Kind of traumatic, huh? I'm glad everything is okay (relatively speaking!)

The Alleman Jamboree with C&D said...

oh wow, so glad you are ok, glad kirsten was there to help along with your friend. hope the meds are helping.

Janet Adams Starnes said...

God Bless little Kirsten and you. Kirsten has such a sweet and tender spirit. Sometimes bad things have to happen to make us realize how lucky we really are and how much our Heavenly Father loves us and watches over us in all circumstances--if we will listen. Keeping you all in our prayers, Love MOM