Tuesday, September 25, 2012

It only took me 9 years!

Nine years and three months ago, my wonderful mother-in-law gave me a quilt kit from an Amish village.  I started to work on piecing it together, but it quickly got put aside.  Every year or so I have pulled it out and worked on it a little, but never really gotten very far.  In August I decided that it was finally time to finish it.  The blocks were all done, but I still had to do the sashing, form my strips, and put the top together.  

The real challenge came when I started quilting it.  It is 90" x 70"  and I have a very little, cheap, old machine.  So you can imagine that it was quite difficult to feed a queen size quilt through the machine.  I watched hours and hours of videos on YouTube on how to machine quilt and especially how to do the binding. 

So after only 9 years and 3 months, I have finished my first quilt.
 All in all, I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.  It is by no means nice enough to give away or put on display, but the general consensus around the house is that it is the perfect snuggle quilt.
I have completed the tops for two more quilts - one for each of my girls - and I am hoping to have them finished in time for Christmas.  I purchased a Charms pack and coordinating fabric for Katie and a Layer Cake for Kirsten at the International Quilt Show in Houston last fall.  On Friday I went to the cutest little shop in Downtown McKinney called Happiness is Quilting to purchase fabric for the backing and binding.  I have often wondered how people can love quilting - it was so stressful to me.  After spending just 30 minutes in that store, I get it.  I want to go back without little ones and spend a long time and a lot of money there!

1 comment:

Janet Adams Starnes said...

I am very happy for you Laura! That looks beautiful! Love, MOM