Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Brown v Board of Education

Friday morning we slept in, a lot.  I was unbelievably grateful that my girls stayed asleep.  We headed out for a late breakfast/early lunch at Hanovers.  Do you sense a pattern here?  Needless to say we love that place!
 Then we decided that it was time for a little bit of culture and history for the kids and adults alike.  So we headed to the Brown v Board of Education National Historic Site.
 This is the school were it actually took place.  I do not know how I never realized that it took place in Topeka where my mom lives.
 The exhibits were amazing and very informative.  We do not really see racism where we live, which is so wonderful.  It was very eye opening for Kirsten to see what it was like in our country 50 years ago.  She cried as she talked about her good friends at school that would not be there with her if it were not for the bravery of these wonderful people.  It think that it is so important that our children are taught the truth about history so that it does not repeat itself.
 Kirsten and Katie were able to complete their activity booklets and earn their Junior Ranger Badge.  They now have four of them!
That pretty much wrapped up our trip.  We spent Friday night visiting and watching OZ, The Great and Powerful on my mom's big tv.  We got up Saturday morning, packed and headed home.  It was a great trip and the longest I have ever spent at my mom's house with the kids.  I think that we will have to make an annual long visit in the summer.  We had such a wonderful time and already miss Grandma so much!

No comments: